Sherry Irwin, company founder (in 1995) and President, has over 25 years of experience in IT asset management (ITAM), including license, contract and vendor management. She is widely recognized as a pioneer, advocate, educator and expert in this maturing discipline.
Prior to founding Technology Asset Management Inc., Sherry was a management consultant with Gartner Group Canada (1989 to 1995), where she contributed to Gartner Group's original Software Asset Management (SAM) research service, as well as the software asset management users' group (SWAMI).
As a TAC Expert, Sherry advises clients of The Advisory Council (TAC), and is a former Giga Expert and associate consultant, providing advice to clients of Giga Information Group's research and advisory service.
Sherry is the Canadian delegate to IEC/ISO 19770 (Software Asset Management).
Through TAM, Sherry sponsors the Canadian IT Asset Management Users' Group (founded in 1992), a forum in which to share ITAM knowledge, influence industry practices and remain at the forefront of this maturing discipline.
Sherry graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Mathematics degree in Computer Science. Her qualifications include the following designations:
- Certified Management Consultant (CMC)
- Certified Software Manager (CSM)
- Advanced Software Manager (ASM)
- Certified Standards Based SAM Professional (CSS(P))
- Certified Technology Procurement Specialist (CTPS)
Our valued clients include North American financial, retail, utility, service and petrochemical organizations and more from both the private and public sectors. Beyond our initial engagement(s), we continue to mentor many of our clients as they operationalize our recommendations to higher levels of maturity in IT asset, license, contract and/or vendor management.
- Agrium Inc
- B.C. Gas
- B.C. Hydro
- BMO Financial Group
- Canada Life Assurance Company
- Canadian Tire Acceptance Limited
- Canadian Tire Corporation
- City of Toronto
- Clarica Life Insurance Company of Canada
- Department of Foreign Affairs Canada
- Direct Energy Essential Home Services
- Dofasco Inc.
- Dupont Canada Inc.
- Enbridge Commercial Services Inc.
- Enbridge Gas Distribution
- GEICO Direct Insurance Company
- GIGA Information Group
- Great West Life
- Health Alliance Plan
- ISM Information Systems Management Corp.
- Lafarge Canada Inc.
- MDS Autolab
- Molson Breweries of Canada
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Sears Canada Inc.
- Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
- Symcor Services Inc.
- The Stanley Works
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank
- From a financial institution: "Sherry's in-depth knowledge of IT Asset Management provided tremendous insight and value, accelerating our implementation. She is very focused on understanding our business requirements and ensuring that all the work that we planned is in alignment to our objectives."
- From a financial institution: "My heartfelt thanks for your continuous support and guidance in helping me bring this amazing ITAM team together. In many respects …really showed how far we have come in under a year. WOW is all I can say! I also heard sensational feedback… that lady really knows her stuff! Thank you again for all your support, encouragement, and inspiration!"
- From a financial institution: "Sherry brings exceptional knowledge and experience to the table. She provided Software Asset Management and ITAM support over a 2 year period; this transference of knowledge enabled our organization to position itself and move ahead from an industry best practices perspective."
- From a municipal government: "I don't think I could have made it this far without you [Sherry] and all the valuable information that you have either supplied me with or made available to me through the Users' Group meetings and the other valuable seminars, courses, conferences etc. that you run so proficiently."
- From an insurance company: "Sherry Irwin was an integral part of the establishment of a contract management function within our Canadian IT operations. She provided consulting expertise in recommending process, key contract management functions for quick return, an electronic data repository and assisting in the evaluation and populating of the repository. Within 2 months, we realized time savings, cost savings and a definite return on our investment. Sherry demonstrates a commitment to her clients and craft with ongoing coaching, networking and user group support. We are committed to an ongoing relationship.....KUDOS to Sherry Irwin and TAM!"
- From a retailer: "Sherry Irwin was a key member of a team formed as a result of a dispute over software contracts with a large software vendor [related to a data center consolidation]. With Sherry's help, we were able to formulate a negotiating strategy that resulted in avoiding a threatened lawsuit and in saving approximately $300,000. Sherry was also instrumental in putting together an asset management program. This process saved several hundred thousand dollars over a two year period."
- From a public utility: "TAM played a key role in implementing asset management processes, principles and disciplines required for a successful asset management function. TAM also provided education relating to software licenses and portfolio management systems. With Sherry Irwin's guidance, we have avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars and received several thousands of dollars in credits from major software vendors."
- Great seminar, valuable information. The materials were worth it alone!
- Very informative – assisted me in organizing my thoughts and practices.
- Love the lifecycle worksheets – valuable tools.
- Excellent interaction with peers! Very knowledgeable, excellent facilitation skills – your credibility shines through.
- Great forum in which to share information, and learn what is going in on the industry, as well as reactions from my peers.
- Great seminar – will allow new team members to gain an in-depth appreciation of the overall contract and vendor management scope and responsibility to the corporation.
- I appreciate how very knowledgeable you are in this field, with excellent facilitation skills.